|Download Episode 159|
2017 National Rugby League Premiership
By W D Nicolson - March 27, 2017
🚨 Brand new NOT The Footy Show Podcast is ready for consumption - Episode 159 with Robb Cox and Warrick Nicolson is a good 57 mins of Rugby League.
|-| Can someone please explain how the Dragons are the top scoring team in the comp after 4 weeks???|-| Quotes of the Round:
• "A hopeless display..."
On the Sunday Footy Show - Andrew Johns unleashes a stinging review on the performance of Canterbury against Manly.
And you can't argue with him. Full quote on this week's Podcast.
|-| Try of the Round:
• Daly Cherry-Evans and Tom Trbojevic bring Brookie to life... mind you they led 20-0 already but still - watch and enjoy!
📪 Email your thoughts/questions on the footy for The Postman's Mailbag here
|-| 5 Things I Think:
1. Warriors won't go anywhere til their forwards dominate...
- They simply aren't the biggest pack in the comp (and haven't been for a long long time) and they certainly don't play like it.
Yes Ben Matulino is back soon but they didn't look like stopping the Dragons at any stage on Sunday night and not even the likes of Shaun Johnson, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (or even a fit Kieran Foran) can make up for being dominated in the middle and then exposed on the edge.
Until the pack stands up - the Warriors will continue to wander in the wilderness...
- And the hill was the most populated part of the 9,000 crowd on Saturday arvo... which tells you that people could barely afford the cost to sit in the hill and weren't going near the $47-70 price range to sit in a grandstand seat at Brookie...
- No Bryce Cartwright or James Fisher-Harris - no problems for the Panthers. Corey Harawira-Naera was superb on debut and Isaah Yeo went up a level on the edges... but Penrith's roster is so deep and talented that bar perhaps a long term injury to Matt Moylan at fullback - the Panthers can cover most positions with NRL quality depth. On this basis alone it's hard to believe they won't be a Top 4 team by the end of the year because depth is such a benefit over 26 rounds.
- Embarrassing is one word for the surface last Friday night... and given we are only just leaving March this is a real worry heading into the colder months.
From personal experience (as in I've actually been on the field regularly) Suncorp has always been a little below standard... and the quality issue (compacted mud that can build up) isn't going away as the ground staff have to run fake sunlight over the field throughout the winter just to keep it playable.
Just as well Brisbane don't play almost exclusively at night there........
- It's down to him or Aaron Woods as we enter April. He was very good Thursday in carrying out the game plan to run over Adam Reynolds early and often and plays 80 minutes... which is why I think he ends up getting it ahead of Woods. NOT The Footy Show discusses other options on this week's Podcast.
Round 4 Tips: 5 from 8