National Rugby League Premiership
By W D Nicolson - February 29, 2016
The NRL Tweet's picks for the upcoming NRL season.
Last year I had the Roosters v Cowboys in the GF - but had the Chooks winning, so while I wasn't way off - I didn't get the Premiers right.
But hey I wasn't alone.
So here's my effort for 2016... keep the hate mail to a minimum please.
- North Queensland
- They've got JT, Morgan and a pack to behold - plus I expect Townsville to be a fortress all year.
- Hard to believe they'll go backwards - Roberts could score 22+ tries outside Hunt/Milford.
- Haven't written off the Big 3 yet despite their advancing age - and won't start now.
- Trent Robinson demands so much from his men and yeah the personnel losses suck, but there's enough here still to be a force.
- They've got some great depth this season... but they've now got quality in a lot of positions so they get back in the frame this year.
- Very nearly left them out but Maloney is a great pickup and that veteran forward pack has the kind of 'you won't beat us' mentality coaches crave.
- I'm not convinced at all... but if that forward unit shows up enough times - RTS, SJ and Luke make this a fantastic team to watch.
- Too many good recruits (and maybe too many) but how they mesh is always the question - do like them for a spot in the Top 8 even though I've only got them at 8th.
- Moylan plays most games and they are in the race up to their eyeballs... horrendous 2015 road record (2-10) didn't help last time out.
- Dogs fans have every right to hate this fall but hey look at #11 - it could be worse. Mbye-Reynolds worries me as does BMoz's injury. Sorry Canterbury fans.
- See above Souths fans... my worry is the void on the depth chart that getting Sam Burgess created... don't get me wrong - I reckon I'll be wrong but hey I might be right...
- Better team than 12th but seriously - all 11 teams above them are better than them in my view - so even with Benji and Widdop - 12th it is.
- Believe it or not - I think they could be a fun team to watch and be better than nuisance value. But even so they only get one rung up the ladder from last year.
- Parra have recruited a lot of players but how much better will they be? I have no idea... so even with Kieran Foran there I have them dropping down to 14th.
- Nathan Brown's youth kick is intriguing... but this will be a tough year in Newcastle on the ladder - however not necessarily in regards to building for the future.
- Someone has to finish last... but Tigers fans I had Saints in 16th last year and they made the Top 8 so take it as a good sign!
Top Pointscorers: Croker from Hastings from Thurston.
Dally M/Player of the Year: Thurston from Hunt from DCE.
Oh and my 2016 Grand Final?
Broncos v Raiders...
Yep, we might get a genuine Cinderella story this year but the Broncos will win the comp.